Warning Signs of a Mold Problem:
It is so important to be aware of what the signs are that you may be sharing your home with more than just your family. Signs that you may have mold include (but are not limited to):
A strange odor
Mold has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your home, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with a mold problem. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor in your home, the culprit may be mold. The best way to determine if the smell is coming from a mold is to hire a certified mold inspector to come by and check it out. He will be able to run tests to determine if you have a mold problem in your home.
The appearance of mold
In your shower stall or bathtub, it is easy to distinguish normal soap scum from mold. However, in the basement or cellar, you may have to investigate a little further to find the mold. Mold will take hold of damp areas, so if you have a wall or floor where dampness collects, mold could very well be there as well. It can hide in corners or dark areas all over your home. Virtually no area is immune.
While not all mold can be easily seen, a quick inspection of your home may alert you to visible signs that you have a mold problem. Schedule periodic visual inspections of your house – especially in susceptible areas and during susceptible times of the year. The quicker a mold problem can be identified, the better for everyone involved.
A known moisture source
If your house recently flooded, your roof recently developed a leak or you know you have a source of water ingress into your home, then you know you have a potential for a future mold problem. Even if you aren’t sure what the source of moisture is, once you discover that you have moisture, you should take this as a warning sign of a future potential mold problem. Identifying and fixing the moisture source is key to preventing or stopping the growth of mold in your home.
Because mold is not always visible, it can be difficult realizing that you do indeed have a mold problem. If you feel listless, congested and experience watering eyes while in your home, these can all be signs of the presence of mold. It is not uncommon for a person who lives in a home that has mold to feel better while at work or out shopping. Their health problems begin the moment they step through their front door. Mold can often be the cause of this.
Be cognizant of your symptoms. What do you feel? When do the symptoms get worse? Are others around you feeling something similar? Can you narrow it down?
SERVPRO of Douglasville coordinates with local industrial hygienists to perform air quality tests and provide clearance letters when necessary. Let us help you and your family get back to life without fear of microbes invading your space.